Duration: At your own pace (online)
How to Manage Exposure to Silica Dust in the Workplace
APS Training Group provides a number of awareness learning programs that help workers throughout Australia improve workplace safety standards. Our experienced trainers instruct those working in a variety of industries about the basics of silica and respirable crystalline silica dust encountered during construction activities as well as how to minimise health risks.
This course was designed around the guidelines laid out by Safe Work Australia and model WHS regulations regarding how to manage the risks to health and safety when using, handling, generating and storing hazardous chemicals, including silica.
Their guidelines recommend a number of measures, including:
- Substitution—using materials with a lower percentage of silica
- Isolation—using principles of safe work design to designate areas for tasks that generate dust
- Engineering controls—using tools which minimise the risk of exposure to generated dust
- Administrative controls—housekeeping policies, shift rotations & modifying cutting sequences
- PPE—wearing appropriate respiratory equipment & clothing
Training and assessment can be completed 100% online. The modules are highly interactive, with engaging multimedia components. Progress is saved each time, so it can be finished at your convenience.
1. Basic health hazards associated with exposure to silica & respirable crystalline silica dust
2. Common construction tasks that could result in exposure
3. Typical control measures that may be implemented to protect workers from exposure to silica & the dust including engineering controls, work practices & respirators.
Participants who demonstrate competency by passing the theory assessment will receive a Certificate of Completion issued by APS Training Groups, as we are environmentally friendly, all certificates will be emailed
There are no official prerequisites.
Participants should possess adequate reading, writing, numeracy and comprehension skills (level 1) to complete learning and assessment activities.
You will need an accepted form of photo-identification when completing this course online.
APS Training Group is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO # 31588) governed by the Australian Skills Quality Authority.